Monday 15 April 2013

Film 017 - Diva (1981)

'Diva' 

Director - Jean-Jaques Beineix

"Her voice was his calling"

A young man’s obsession with an operatic diva inadvertently entangles him in murder and intrigue on the streets of Paris.

This is not from the big list but rather one I wanted to revisit. Unfortunately not as good as I remember it. Instead it appears to have weathered badly with age, particularly the moped chase scene which I recall being far more exciting. I would also have liked to have seen more of the enigmatic Gorodish. He and Alba are the recurring characters from the series of books by Daniel Odier from which Dive is taken.

Favourite Character - Dominic Pinion as the skin-headed killer who literally hates everything and is know only as Le curé (but if he's the cure then I'd rather be sick) …

Classic scene – The mysterious Gorodish's unorthodox method of cutting garlic while wearing a scuba mask and snorkel, which I seem to remember an old flatmate of mine emulating...
     -


No comments:

Post a Comment