Monday 15 April 2013

Film 015 - Rashomon (1950)

'Rashômon'

Director -  Akira Kurosawa

"The husband, the wife...or the bandit?"


Following a murder in the hills around Rashomon the same tale of what happened but told from different perspectives leaving you doubting what is the truth and doubting in humanity. I just love a bit of Kurosawa and in some ways it’s pleasing to know I haven’t seen all his work yet. An excellent film - even if it does contain possibly one of the worst sword fights in cinema history. 

It makes me want to watch ‘The Seven Samurai’ again more than ever, which is at the very top of The Big List. However, it would also be the start of a slippery slope because after ‘Seven Samurai’ then you have to watch ‘Magnificent Seven’ and then ‘Battle Beyond the Stars’ and then ‘Westworld’ 
etcetera, etcetera...

Classic scene – The murder victim getting to have his say at the trial with a little help from a medium. I used the same idea myself in a Murder Mystery play I once penned never once realising I was paying tribute to a masterpiece...

The Big List – 27 seen
  -

No comments:

Post a Comment